Sunday, January 27, 2019

How Wearing Glasses Can Save You from Being Burned at the Stake

Tomorrow morning, January 28th, at 4:30 am, we leave for a nice six-week trip on the road. First Miami Beach, where 60F is far more welcoming than 20F, and then, off to Seville, Spain, for a month with four dear friends.

So, I'm reactivating our travel blog, for in our Seville apartment, we'll have reasonable access to internet, Moorish culture, museums, little cafes, and perhaps a side trip to Cordoba and another to Grenada.

Seville's Museum of Popular Arts and Customs (Wikipedia)
Speaking of Grenada, that impossibly beautiful city surrounded by mountains and home of the Alhambra, I remembered my trip there so long ago, perhaps in 1973 or 1974. My ten-day circle tour of Spain with a small group of retired school teachers stopped in Grenada to visit the Alhambra.

That night our group was taken to the hills for a dinner hosted by gypsies who sang and danced for our entertainment. I was young enough then to be vain and often did not wear my prescription glasses. When I was tired, my left eye would turn inward.

Wikipedia
As we were leaving the cave of the gypsies, several made a strange sign with their hands, specifically against me. They would not look me in the eyes. I was confused until someone explained the signs were wards, protecting them from me. They believed I was a witch.

If it had been in the middle ages, I might have been banned or burned at the stake for that turned eye.  So, as we prepare for this month-long adventure, I’m wondering if this has changed much in the last 50 years. Of course, I do wear my glasses now -- all the time!

But I wonder if those gypsies are still living in those caves in the mountains above Grenada -- and if we will visit to hear them singing and see them dance.

May your own travels go well. Stop back by to see what we're up to next!

No comments: