Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Day 21: Waking Poem

Suddenly it is dark
in the morning,
as if the sun needed to stay below
the horizon a little longer,
the earth tilted away
to hide her treasure,
like the basket I found in my dreams,
dust-covered, colors faded,
but the design true, a note inside
scrawled with tiny letters
and a number.
Maybe this once belonged
to someone’s grandmother,
this basket. I shall carry it home
and make it whole.






















A basket made by Californian Lucy Telles
now in the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
(source: Wikipedia)

The first lines of this poem came on waking this morning, a very dark morning before daylight savings time kicks in now that we're two-thirds of the way through October. I think I know what it means: that urge to preserve and protect artifacts from previous generations, perhaps an acknowledgement that I cannot 'see' what is valuable of my own. 

Even if I have not written every single day, this month long commitment to try comes from Octpowrimo.com  -- Go see what others have written HERE.

6 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I really enjoyed this read, Beth. It is eerie, yet not. The quality you create is palpable. Thank you for that.

ElaineLK said...

I like this poem. That's happened to me, as well, though I don't always turn it into something whole as you did. Sometimes I dream that I'm writing something really good and when I wake up I can't remember a word of it!

Here, There be a Writer said...

Lovely! :-)

Michelle Liew said...

The poem, and the basket, are such treasures!

Rod E. Kok said...

Great image you've written! Lovely write!!!

Unknown said...

This really is well done... often I long for an explanation for a poem...Im not the best at interpretation... but this one was true to form... Im glad you did explain it but I think it portrayed your inspiration ... which is really cool.