Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hello from Rio . . .

It's a sunny morning, low 80s today, and we're in Rio, right next to Copacabana Beach. Last night we strolled along the beach, watching the young kids play kick volleyball. We saw a statue covered with flowers. I thought it was a street performer. Allen said it was a statue. I dropped some coins in a nearby basket, and the statue came to life! He made a beautiful paper rose out of a napkin and then froze.

We're in a nice hotel now, but no internet. Vera, if you read this, Rio is as beautiful as you remember. Yesterday we took the cog train and climbed up the stairs to reach the foot of Cristo Redentor, the famous status of Christ overlooking Rio. Ah, que vista!

For now, the writing goes well, we sweat, we eat delicious foods (pineapple and grilled chicken sandwich!), and we sleep in air conditioned comfort. Today, Allen plans a trek to four bookstores to prepare for Argentina. I'm thinking about the 27-hour bus ride to Salvador. May your week go well!

1 comment:

GreenishLady said...

Oh... just popped over from your Sunday Scribbling post, and am delighted to be able to join you on your travels. I've just spent 10 days in Buenos Aires with my son, and it's given me a taste for South America. Then I looked over your older posts, and noticed Multnomah Falls.. I visited there in 2006 on my first visit to the US. I love these synchronicities! Blessings to you on your travels!