Thursday, August 21, 2008

More tagging and meme-ing?

Vicki, a blogger with spirit from Sunday Scribblings has tagged me to list 6 unspectacular quirks of mine. Whoosh! Who in the world would be interested???? But I'll try. Six?

1. I have a library card for nearly every city we visit and would love for some organization to put forth a national library card. Some cities ask for $$$; others look at a postmark and call it good. My first date with Allen occurred when he took me to a branch of the San Francisco public library because that's where Richard Brautigan, the author of Williard and the Bowling Trophies wrote. We only saw a homeless man sitting in a wing chair. He looked pretty comfortable.

2. I straighten those labels that stick out of clothing, even for strangers and especially on elevators. How can we go forth untidy? Somehow I feel the universe is a little more orderly, and it's only a label. But when I'm far from home and family, tucking in a label makes me feel like I'm in a world where people can care about such silly things, even with all else.

3. I turn off the news when President Bush appears. I don't think I've heard the man complete a sentence for the last eight years. I rather wish this quirk were a more spectacular rebellion. I probably should have moved to Canada.

4. I hate paying more than $3.00 for a box of cereal. Sometimes I'll eat really dreadful stuff for breakfast or wind up buying four boxes of cereal, especially Kashi (when it's on sale). I've done comparison shopping after some supermarkets upped the price on Kashi to $5.00 a box to find the cheapest providers in town. That's probably really silly. Demand isn't that elastic for cereal, and raisins aren't that good for you.

5. My parking skills could be improved. I always turn slightly too soon and end up with my car razor-close to the line, making it sometimes difficult to get in and out on the passenger side. Of course, this quirk doesn't exactly bother ME!

6. Ah, the last quirk and perhaps the quirkiest: Bird calls. Due to a series of unfortunate childhood experiences (which I won't explain), I startle easily and squawk, like a bird. This quirk startles others, perhaps even more than my parking skills.

Well, I hope you enjoyed reading this AND laughed a little. Now I'm supposed to tag six others, and I can only draw on writers I've come to know from Sunday Scribblings and maybe one more. I'll tag Vicki, Gary Presley, and writers I've come to appreciate so much -- Goddess Diana, Nonizamboni, Bellamocha, Inland Empire Girl, and thank you! Here are the rules from Vicki:

1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules on your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.

That's it! May your day go well.

2 comments:

Vicki G. said...

Thanks for participating Beth! I thought your quirks were quite interesting....especially the library card thing. I have three library cards from three different cities and I think a national card would be a great idea. You can read everybody else's quirks by clicking on the names in my post. :)

nonizamboni said...

What fun!! Thanks Beth for thinking of me. I laughed out loud at your six, expecially the bird calls--well, and the Bush blackout.
And what an enjoyable blog about your ambitious travel project. I lived in Spokane when I was 18-20 in a whole different era and love the place.
I'll be watching for your Sunday Scribblings too. Happy weekend!